A PDQ Machine is another name for a credit or debit card reader, PDQ standing for Process Data Quickly. In the UK PDQs machines are used to read chip and PIN cards though they can also read cards with a magnetic strip which may be necessary for transactions with foreign tourists or if a card has a faulty chip.
3 Types of PDQ Machine
1. Countertop PDQ Machine
Countertop PDQ Machines are suitable for retail type businesses and companies taking orders over the phone. They connect to the bank via a phone line or internet connection. They have a small footprint to minimise space.
2. Mobile PDQ Machine
A mobile PDQ machine can be used any time, anywhere, connecting as it does via GSM or GPS technology (like a mobile phone). This makes the machine suitable for those accepting payments outside of a business premises.
There has recently been an app introduced into the market for use with Blackberry phones which works with a mobile PDQ machine to process payments via the merchant account.
*Edit – See this post on Mobile Chip and PIN Readers for the latest info
3. Portable PDQ Machine
Portable PDQ Machines work with Bluetooth to transmit signals to an access point on the business premises. They often work with a charging dock. Perfect for restaurants and bars. Range is usually around 100m in an open environment.
How The System Works
1. Chip and PIN card inserted into PDQ Machine
2. PDQ Machine reads files on the chip and checks card is valid
3. PIN entered to verify card holder
4. Terminal decides whether to process payment online, offline or decline payment and informs card. (Some machines will process all payments online)
5. Card can either accept or decline decision or force transaction online.
6. If the transaction takes place offline the payment is then processed or declined.
7. If the transaction goes online the transaction details including whether the card is genuine are checked in real time by the card issuer.
8. Card issuer responds, accepting or declining the transaction. Additional information may also be sent to the card
Contactless payments are the fastest type of payment in the UK, even faster than cash. The payment is made for purchases of less than £15 and without having to enter a PIN; the card is simply waved in front of the contactless reader.
If you have any question about chip and PIN machines and merchant services or would like a best price quote from our partner please use the contact form >> Contact