For a discount use code PAYUKTRIAL
Payleven offer a chip and PIN machine which works with your smartphone or tablet and is available for businesses and individuals. You can manage several machines from one account, it works with a mobile printer for receipts and they are endorsed by Apple.
- Free app
- Chip and PIN reader £49 + VAT (discounts if buying 10+ units)
- Android and iOS compatible
- Charges: 2.75% per transaction (decreases after £2.5K)
- Bluetooth technology
- Available: UK, Germany, Austria, Italy, Netherlands, Poland and Brazil
Chip and PIN Reader
- Black acrylic measuring 9.5cm x 7cm x 1.75cm
- 3.5cm OLED display
- Micro USB plug for charging
- Chip reader along the bottom
The card reader is about the same size and weight as a smartphone and can easily be carried in your pocket, bag or briefcase. It works within a 10m range of the mobile device and the battery lasts around 150 transactions. To give the unit a full charge takes 45 mins. If you are transporting the unit frequently it might be worth investing in a case as it has a shiny finish which will likely scratch easily. Card readers are interchangeable between mobile devices but not Payleven users.
Mobile chip and PIN machines are relatively new in the UK and some customers may not be familiar with them. This may cause concerns around safety particularly with the machines working with an app on a phone or tablet.
You should know the Payleven card reader has been approved by the two main payment card industry bodies, EMV and the PCI. The card reader has met the highest level of Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS level 1). Card data is heavily encrypted by the card reader and is at no point available to the mobile device. In addition no card data is stored on the card reader or Payleven app. If the card reader is lost for instance no risk is posed to customers as there is no customer data on the card reader.
Setting up the Payleven Card Reader
When you receive the Payleven card reader it need to be paired with a mobile device. For iOS this is done through the settings and for Android through the Payleven app.
- Turn on the card reader and activate Bluetooth on your iPhone/iPad through the settings.
- Press the 0 button for 5 seconds on the card reader. After releasing the button, ‘You can connect’ will appear on the display.
- Once a connection is found, the card reader name will appear on the mobile device as Not Paired. Click on the reader name and a window will appear asking you to confirm the connection. Click Pair on the mobile device AND the green Confirm button on the card reader. Your phone/ tablet will now say it is Connected.
- Once paired, login to the Payleven app and go on Account > Card reader settings and choose the Chip & PIN card reader.
- Turn on the card reader and login to the Payleven app on your phone tablet. Go to Payment > Account > Set Reader Type > Select Chip card reader. If the device is already set to Chip card reader, then go to Account > Manage Terminals.
- To pair the devices, press the 0 button for 5 seconds on the card reader. After releasing the button, ‘You can connect’ will appear on the card reader display.
- Once a connection is found, confirm the pairing request by pressing Pair or OK in the smartphone window AND the green Confirm button on the card reader.
- Once complete, your smartphone will be connected via Bluetooth to the Chip & PIN card reader and you will see the Enter payment screen on the Payleven app.
The main thing you will use the app for is taking payments. For that you use the payment screen where you can input the total with a description and photo if desired. You can access your account from the app including printer settings. There is a sales history which is searchable by date and the staff list for the account is on there. The staff list can be managed from the app. The master account holder sees information about all the accounts whereas sub accounts only see information about their account.
The iPad app works the same as the smartphone version with an additional ‘shelves’ feature for products. You can pre-load products into the shelves and select them from the payment screen. The advantages of the shelves feature are ease of use, it makes it easier to track sales and the customer receives more details on their receipt.
To take a payment using the card reader:
- Open the app on your mobile device
- Enter the total, description (and a photo if required) on the payment screen or add products from shelves (iPad)
- Ask the customer to insert their card into the chip and PIN reader and enter their PIN
- Click ‘Continue’ on the app
- Once payment is approved a receipt can be sent to the customer’s email address or printed out
Alternative Payment Methods
Cash payments are possible through the Payleven app which may be useful for record keeping. To take a cash payment after pressing Continue on the app to accept a payment select cash payment.
You can send a receipt via email or print out a paper copy. Email receipts are done through the application by entering the customers email address after processing the transaction. The receipt is designed for an A4 page and can also be printed from email using a standard printer. A copy of a receipt can also be sent from within the sales history.
Certain mobile printers are compatible with Payleven and can be used to print receipts. Payleven sell the Bixolon SPP-R200IIiK/BEG mobile printer and Star Micronics SM-S220i mobile printer and the Epson TM-T88V with UB-R03 desktop printer are supported.
Payleven Web Portal
Your Payleven account can be managed online from the web portal. In the web portal you can access and download reports, change bank details and company info and order additional hardware. There is also info about the refer a friend scheme.
Transactions are paid weekly on a Friday with a settlement delay of 5 days. That means it takes 4-7 days for you to receive payment.
Phone lines open Monday to Saturday 9am-6pm, webchat and email.
There are several mobile chip and PIN machines now available in the UK with little to choose between them, for instance the price of the units and transaction charges are very similar. Payleven do offer some additional features compared to some of their competitors. The ability to print out receipts with a mobile printer will be favoured by some small businesses and multi accounts where several machines can be managed from one account allows larger businesses to consider Payleven.
At present the app is a little basic, however on the whole what Payleven offer is a more complete package than many of their competitors. For info about other mobile chip and PIN machines take a look through the ‘card readers’ category. Feel free to leave a comment.
For a £10 discount visit Payleven here or use code PAYUKTRIAL